I discovered … chimps using tools – and people wouldn’t believe me

The first time I met a great ape in the wild I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to studying primates. Then I saw something that changed our understanding forever

I was born in Ngomboku village, surrounded by the lush, evergreen forests of what is now the Bakossi national park in Cameroon. My parents were primary school teachers and they moved between villages every few years, so I saw many different places. I got really interested in maps and ended up studying geography.

In 2004 I went into the Ebo forest in west Cameroon for the first time. I remember that day clearly – listening to the dense canopy of trees vibrating in the wind, the sight and crowing of colourful birds and monkeys. I had never heard or seen anything like it before. Little did I know that a year later I would see something in that forest that would change our understanding of chimpanzee “culture” for ever. Continue reading...


http://dlvr.it/T0xsnQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be ready to give us information on how your resources are used – EFCC to Nigerians

‘Fashion can change Africa’: the pioneering designers chasing a world of opportunity

Ethiopia Muslim leaders sentenced- afrikka gist

Lawyer lauds Tinubu’s efforts at stabilising economy

Kog: 21 Ajaokuta Kidnapped Victims Rescued Within 48 Hours As Governor Bello Reiterates Zero Tolerance For Criminal Activities

ILLEGAL BUNKERING, PIPELINE VANDALISM, PIRACY AND OTHERS TO BE THINGS OF THE PAST- BADARU

Aiyedatiwa Promises Infrastructural Development, Enhanced Workers’ Welfare

CBN revokes Heritage Bank’s licence

Tinubu congratulates Oduwole at 80